Skip to content

Discover New Galaxies

May 23, 2012

“Spock, quit looking at your tri-corder, we just passed another galaxy!”

Captain Kirk, Spock, Scottie and the Doctor all had little hand held gadgets light years before the iphone was even an imagination.  The handy little device seemed to contain all the information they ever needed; yet they were still able to discover places where no man has gone before.

2012, walk into any store, what are people doing?  Restaurants, waiting rooms even the bathroom; people are transfixed upon their little hand held devices.  Not only would galaxies pass them right by unnoticed, so do stop signs, other people and the entire outside world.

How often do you text?  How often are you involved in a game, the internet or some new app?

From the beginning of time, man has been on a quest to explore and discover.  Men and women have risked life and wealth to discover new lands, new routes and new creations.  Enter the cell phone; and most recently the smartphone.  The era of discovery is ended.  Mankind is now transfixed upon a little box that feeds them all they desire.  People no longer notice those around them.  Interaction is through abbreviated words in a text.  These phone gripped victims notice very little of life around them.  They have stopped looking.  They have stopped searching.  They have stopped discovering.  Their lives are now focused inward and their most intimate relationship is with an electronic device.

I am not anti-phone.  Well, not completely.  What I am is pro-life.  I believe in living life.  I believe in noticing and enjoying all that is around us; people, places and moments.  I believe in true interaction, one on one.  I believe in deep and meaningful relationships, connecting with those we love and enjoying each and every moment.  I believe in making an effort to achieve these things.  I believe they are worth fighting for.  Our lives and our society depend on it.

Before too much of life has passed you by, you should ask yourself if you are living your life or is your phone making you think you have a life.  Only you know how much that little device has a hold on your life.  Only you know how dependent you are on it.  Set some rules for yourself before too much of your life is eaten up.  Ultimately it is your choice, but you are important and your contribution to this world is vital.  Don’t disappear into your phone, open your eyes once gain to the world and be a discoverer of life.

Advertisements
7 Comments leave one →
  1. Lucy permalink
    May 23, 2012 9:28 am

My cheapie pre-paid phone has NO text ability. I get WAY fewer calls on my landline (only important calls, Jared, and the chargecard scam things) than I used to. So, my phone takes LESS of my life. I doubt I am missing even one thing not having text, but I can and do call someone and have them text for me. LOL!

2. lilgurney permalink
    May 23, 2012 9:44 am

Thank you for sharing this, Debbie!! I am with you. I don’t have a cell phone or anything like that and don’t want one at all. I love to talk in person one on one best, care & connect, explore & enjoy the beauty of life around me with my loved ones. 🙂

3. Bobbi permalink
    May 23, 2012 10:49 am

AMEN! This is one my biggest pet peeves. On another note–I saw this in the news yesterday–your blog timing is so interesting. LOL http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505245_162-57439889/beam-them-up-ashes-of-star-trek-actor-in-orbit/

4. Momma Di permalink
    May 23, 2012 10:54 am

I finally ‘caved’ and accepted a cell phone since mom lives with us and needs to contact me when I’m out should she have a need. However, I’ve got one of the ‘archaic’ phones that basically just sends/receives calls. That’s definitely enough for me!! Good thoughts, Debbie.

5. momof3boys permalink
    May 23, 2012 2:24 pm

Amen sister!!! Put the game/phone down and look the person you are talking to in the face!!! It’s has become a world of self, instant gratification, lack of discipline……….O.K,…. O.K., I’ll get off the soap box. LOL!!…( :

Love the blog!

6. Carol permalink
    May 23, 2012 3:19 pm

I agree wholeheartedly, Debbie! I was really getting into my I-phone (had it for about six weeks until someone stole it) – and it won’t be replaced for another year because it’s just too expensive! Maybe it was a blessing in disguise.

7. jody hollis permalink
    May 26, 2012 4:49 pm

Good for the younger ones coming up although I have seen some of the older ones really using this texing too. Good word. Jody