Skip to content

To Be or Not To Be

May 21, 2012

The ‘To-Do’ list; we all have them.  If not electronically stored in our iphones or hanging on the front of our refrigerators, they are at least scribbled on scraps littered throughout the house.  My 3 page typed list will take me through the year 2014.  Alright, I am exaggerating, only 2013.

The list that I have so neatly organized is divided into categories.  There are those chores that need to be done in the garden, the yard or in the house.  Some things deal with finances and some with organizations I am involved with.  I love to cross items off my list.  It gives me such satisfaction.  The problem is that as soon as I cross them off, I have to add three more.

As I look ahead toward the next two weeks, the things that I need to do are feeling a bit overwhelming.  Our lives are driven and determined by what we need to do.  I will admit, I hate looking ahead and seeing my life as only a list of things to do.

What if we started making ‘To-Be’ lists instead?  As we look ahead to our week, what if we asked ourselves, “what do I want to be this week?”  The items on my list would negate many of the items on my ‘To-Do’ list, because the first item on my ‘To-Be’ list would be; peaceful.  When I think of what I really want most of all it is not non-stop activity and chores; but peace and calmness for my mind and soul.

Other items I would place on my, ‘To-Be’ list are; joyful, creative, content with my day, content with my life, connected to my family and lingering in the moment.

Our society’s focus is on what we need to do, and I think we give very little time to pondering the true desires of our hearts and all that we want to be. We do so much, we leave precious little time to be much of anything else besides tired, worn out and overwhelmed.

This week as you jot down your little reminders of the things you need to do, start with the things you want to be first.  Make sure there is some time donated if you want to be relaxed.  Schedule time, if you want to be engrossed in nature.  Leave a day open if you want to be a kid again.  Just make sure that you live your life being, more than you live your life doing.

Advertisements
14 Comments leave one →
  1. Carol permalink
    May 21, 2012 7:08 am

Great thoughts, Debbie! God is the great I AM, not the great I do!

2. Momma Di permalink
    May 21, 2012 7:20 am

Thanks Debbie….I very much needed this today!!

3. Bobbi permalink
    May 21, 2012 11:02 am

Have you been spying on me again? 😉

4. Patricia permalink
    May 21, 2012 11:08 am

Not a single thing on my “To Do” list today….loving this day 🙂

5. Libby permalink
    May 21, 2012 11:54 am

This really spoke to me today. Thank you. It is just what I needed.

6. Donna permalink
    May 21, 2012 2:43 pm

OMG….that I should read today is so funny!!!! You know me well and my todo list is so long I may never die!!! Loved, loved, loved today…..am I nbr 5000? Did I win a prize? I crack myself up….see? I want to BE happy!! Love you tons!!!!!!!

• May 22, 2012 9:15 am

You are an amazing person. An example to so many on how to BE happy in adversity. I admire you and love you dearly! But then I have always looked up to you bis sis, that is until I got taller than you! Hee Hee!

7. jody hollis permalink
    May 21, 2012 9:01 pm

I like this idea very much and I for one am going to put down daily just one thing I want to be for each day. Your writtings are a very helpful part of ones mind if we will just do it. I am thinkful that I can get so much of what needs done though. but taking time out for just resting is so good. Today i was able to put 8 rows into my afghan that was good for me. Jody

• May 22, 2012 9:27 am

You my dear friend are constantly “being”. You are faithful, you are helpful, you are kind, you are endless qualities that bless us and all those who know you!