Skip to content

Renew

January 7, 2012

Today I was enjoying a book my father wrote, “Don’t Retire; Renew.”  In it he gives the definition of renew; to begin or take up again, to restore or replenish, to revive, re-establish, make new as if new again, to be restored to a former state.  Then I read the status of a young man on Facebook asking for a re-try of the past 3 years.  Who else is wanting to find a re-try button?

2012, the beginning of a “new” year; how about a year of renewing?

To begin or take up again.  Quite often the busyness of life pushes out our heart’s desires.  Have you been dreaming of writing the next best great novel but piles of laundry get your attention instead?  Have you always wanted to learn a new skill, craft or art, but it just doesn’t fit in your already crazy life?  Well it is time to renew those interests and desires.  It is time to begin pursuing those dreams.  It is time to take up those interests you had years ago.

There are many reasons that seem valid for not pursuing your dreams at this time.  The top reason is that God may be telling you to wait.  It is not the season.  It may very well not be the season for you to dive in head first, but ask the Lord what seeds you should be planting now for harvest in the future.

The next reason we use is that we are too busy.  Don’t mistaken busyness as a reason to not begin.  “There is just not time for that in my life right now.”  I want you to re-think that statement.

There is no time to spend with our kids.  We don’t have time to take care of our health.  But what are we spending our time on, possibly hours with the TV or computer?  Before you give up on beginning your dreams or taking up interests evaluate how you truly spend your time.

Do chores pile up because you do not follow a routine to complete them?  Do you feel overwhelmed because you have not trained your children to help with the load?  Do you not plan well for meals and shopping so you are always running to the store, asking the age old question; “what’s for dinner,” or running out to get fast food?  These all eat your time.  These are all dream stealers.

I want each of you to take steps this year to renew a dream.  It doesn’t just happen.  Just like God’s word, the cares of this life can choke it out.  This is where some goal setting would come in handy.  What do you want to change so that you will have more time?  Do you want to become more organized? In what areas?  Make a list.  Break it down into areas of your life.  List obstacles that you need to overcome.  Write steps on how you will do that.

One blog is not a sufficient amount of space to lead you in the process of goal setting.  So for the next few blogs I will share some valuable goal setting information with you.  My information will come from my Dad’s book, “Don’t Retire Renew” and from my own experiences and beliefs.  The reason for this is because I think many of us dream and pray for change in our lives but we lack the guidance of the steps we can take.

So who is ready to be renewed?  I’ll be honest, ME!

I hope to address the other aspects of the definition for renew and I hope to help us all find a re-try button.  The past is behind us, but it is true that we may very well be suffering from the consequences today from our past decisions.  We can start today to take steps to correct what we can.  There is a re-try button, but without making changes we will constantly need it.  So join me on the road to renewal.  Smack that button and proclaim, “I’m ready!”

This is my 144th blog.  This blog, started on May 28th is part of me following my dream.  This week I turned 51.  It is NEVER too late to follow your dreams.  The wonderful thing about knowing and following Jesus is that He helps fashion your dreams.  He guides you and directs you along your path and it is an awesome journey.  To celebrate all of our dreams, I am offering 3 gifts.  I am sending three copies of the book, “Don’t Retire Renew” by Lou Kaufmann to three special dreamers.  For the next two and a half weeks please send me comments.  Share with me what your dreams are, what you would like to renew this year, or steps you took to pursue a dream.  All names will be put in a hat for each comment and three winners will receive a copy of this book.  If you would like to comment privately, you may also e-mail me at steven_spence_552@comcast.net

If you would like to order your own copy of “Don’t Retire Renew” go to www.renewalment.com or www.trafford.com/08-0657 or e-mail orders@trafford.com

Advertisements
9 Comments leave one →
  1. Bobbi permalink
    January 7, 2012 12:14 pm

How wonderful! I didn’t know that your father was an author. It makes perfect sense, though! It is so neat that he has given that legacy to your family. May God bless you, dear friend, as you continue to follow your dreams!

2. natasha permalink
    January 7, 2012 12:27 pm

i just recently started reading your blog and i really like everything you have to say. it makes me feel better somehow to read your blogs. my dream is to graduate highschool and make it into college. get a four year degree and a good job that i enjoy. all of this seems like it is going to be really hard for me now. having a new baby and planning to nurse her isn’t going to leave much time (at least it seems that way to me.) but i have a lot of support so hopefully i can be the first one in my family to go to college. and the first to actually graduate highschool in a long time.

• January 7, 2012 1:03 pm

Tasha, I’m thrilled that you are reading my blog. The road ahead will not always be easy, but you can do it. You will need help and support but first and foremost you need God’s help. Hopefully I can help you along on that path. You are precious and I love you! These next few blogs will be very helpful for you so keep reading.

3. Kelly permalink
    January 7, 2012 1:13 pm

Dreams… well one is to adopt and God willing that will be accomplished this year! Chris and I have just started on another dream we hope to accomplish by the end of this year which is a book for boys and girls to train them from a young age through the teen years about purity and courtship from the Biblical view. This must be God led because neither one of us are the best writters. Thank you for your blog, you are an inspiring woman!

4. Lucy permalink
    January 8, 2012 10:43 am

My dreams (those you don’t already know about) are SO simple. I just want to be able to see/know/love my grandchildren. It REALLY stunk that I couldn’t have my mom around for that with my children and I want to get to be there for my own grandkids. Juliana is 6yo, I am 50yo. I dream lofty…

5. January 8, 2012 11:52 am

Thank you for inspiring us, and giving us the courage to kick-start our long awaited dreams! I look forward to reading more! Happy New Year!!

6. Patricia permalink
    January 8, 2012 4:33 pm

I look forward to your series. I have long ran my own home based business and this year I hope to expand it into something that will be more of a family business. Something that will allow my husband the time to be with us more than he is now with the job that he has where he is always on call. With God’s blessings it will happen.

7. Noah permalink
    January 8, 2012 6:05 pm

Some short term goals I have are to get my motivation back and get my grades back up so I can accomplish my long term goals. I do want to continue pursuing my dream/calling to be an Army Chaplain and minister to struggling soldiers. Lately, I’ve kinda taken my eyes off that dream but I’m wanting to focus on it again 🙂

• January 9, 2012 11:47 am

I’m glad to hear this. I’ll try and remind you about this. A young man your age can get distracted by many things, but you are an extreamly focused person. Keep your eyes and mind on Him and you’ll stay on track.